Aug 2, 2006

When the dog bites, when the bee stings

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things


When things aren't good I tend to splurge on comfort foods. Since I don't grocery shop, I have to find my binge food elsewhere. Enter Mi Lupita, the BEST mexican food in St. Louis. They have one restaurant in Ballwin and one in Fenton. I frequent them both often (tells you about how often I need my comfort foods & tequila). I love the food so much I've offered to do a website for them (still under construction www.mi-lupita.com). I walk in and the entire staff greets me with hugs. After my very welcoming greeting, they all know I get ice water at lunchtime and a medium margarita with Presidente Brandy on top with dinner. At lunchtime, they also know to order white cheese dip and a L-L pollo (translation: chicken burrito enchilada style)...Now if that isn't service I don't know what is. For dessert, I splurge on either chimi-cheese cake with hot apples and ice cream or cinnamon crispies with ice cream. I know ice cream and margaritas, blah, but just remember not to mix til your done with dessert and then wash your mouth with a shot of tequila before returning to said margarita and life is good again.

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things


Another thing that really puts me at ease is curling up on my couch in some comfy PJs. As I'm sure I've written before, this is my happy place where I tend to lay low at to avoid the world and regroup, not always a good thing, but it is my way of coping with life right now.

The back of my house is all windows, my little my portal to the world. I love just laying on the couch and watching the birds, chipmunks, and squirrels play around on a sunny day. It is, also, a great view to watch a thunderous lightning storm...watching the trees bend to and fro, hearing the thunder shake the windows, and watching the light streak across the sky, just heavenly.

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things

Enter problem, I'm doing my best to not drink anymore. I would also like to shake a few pounds that I had tossed earlier this year and somehow gained back all in the last month. Weight scares me, but so does the drinking. I'm not good at saying no to free drinks, which seems to equate to free pounds on my thighs. I'm not good at leaving the house anymore for a walk or a workout, either, even though I feel awesome and full of life afterwards. The alcohol gives me a pick up too, but only during the partaking. The pick me up turns to a big bring me down after I get home and even more so when I wake up the next day. See my Praying to the Porcelain post for more ugly details on this one. I'm looking for that happy medium, because it is really hard to go out with friends when I am the only sober one. I've tried just throwing back a shot or a drink early on to ease my nerves, but one usually ends up in tons...again bad news. I'll figure it out eventually until then, I think I'll go have a lil Mexican for lunch ;)

When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I totally didn't know of this restaurant... Thats one to add to my list. For a similiar but different food try Hondoran food. Los Catrachos Honduran Restaurant
2740 Cherokee St. St. Louis, MO 63118 314-773-5151