Aug 8, 2006

It's a small world after all

I had a long talk last night with a friend of mine, who like myself is going through (to coin our president) the shock and awe phase of divorce. It's a time when you realize how great things are now and that not everything is like our lives pre-divorce. It is one of those times where you really start to discover who you are as a solo and that things do not have to be the same with any possible future duet.

The great thing about this friend is how much he makes me smile (like my old self smiling all the time). He truly is interested in my life and vice-versa. Even though our marriages (and divorces) were very different, there is still an overwhelming amount of parallel ground between us.

He is, also, one of the first people to really want to understand what I am going through with the PTSD. He questioned about why I keep things in and what sort of things I keep tucked away deep inside. He just wanted to know the deeper me...and as scary as it was to skim some of those details, he made me feel at ease with it all...and the details didn't scare him.

His smile is warming and contagious. His concern is so deep and genuine and extremely comforting. I am not sure if it is because we are really getting to know each other or not, but I just have so much to talk to him about, so many similar stories, so much fascination with each other. It is great and rare to have someone that "gets it" and for that I'm feeling very blessed today.

No comments: