Aug 8, 2006

Addiction and Alcoholism

...more words to add to my scary word list courtesy of my doc.

Unfortunately, PTSD puts many at risk for addiction. In my particular case, the addiction would be alcohol. Alcohol seems to be my rescue in the situations where I do not feel at ease or need release from my demons. The problem is I rarely stop with a drink or two. I imagine you are thinking, "Hey, you know there is a problem so take charge." If it were only that simple, I would love to.

At this point in time, I cannot even avoid a single drink if I'm out most nights. I usually succumb to at least a single shot, which, more times than not, leads to more. I am sure many of the sober or designated drivers out there understand; it is not much fun being the only sober one amongst a bunch of drunks. Also, if someone buys me a drink (which happens often), I'm afraid if I don't drink it I will offend/hurt someone. The drinking is becoming a viscious circle going from guilt, controlling anxiety, and trying to feel part of the fun to depression, feeling like crap, and being mad at myself for not having more control of my life. I guess that defines it right there.

Definitions
Alcoholism is a chronic and often progressive disease. Like many diseases, it has symptoms that include a strong need to drink despite negative consequences, such as serious job or health problems. Like many diseases, it has a generally predictable course and is influenced by both genetic (inherited) and environmental factors.

Addiction is the compulsion to repeat a behavior regardless of its consequences. Addiction describes a chronic pattern of behavior that continues despite the direct or indirect adverse consequences that result from engaging in the behavior. It is quite common for an addict to express the desire to stop the behavior, but find himself or herself unable to cease.

No comments: